Saturday, August 23, 2008

B-I-N-G-O



I'm back at home, at least for a little while. So, this past Friday was my first at home. I checked the movies and nothing I wanted to see was released. I knew I wanted to get out of the house for awhile, but what to do. Can't walk on the beach or down by the pier, not up here. And from what I heard from St Simons, there was no walking on the beach there either, thanks to Fay. (I missed all of that excitement. :( Any way, mom came home and we were looking through the local paper. It only comes out on Tuesdays and Fridays. And found something we both hadn't done before. So, we headed up to Helen for the night. Helen isn't the hoping town it once was, but it does have a few nice restaurants left plus BINGO night on Wednesday and Fridays. Mom and I went to a restaurant named Paul's and then over to the Festhalle. (Yes, it's spelled that way. Helen is a small town that was built to be like a Germany town in the Alps and they try to imitate one in every way. Don't ask me why.) So, we get there a little late and BINGO night is in full swing. I have never seen so many people so serious about Bingo. A person can win serious amounts of money at Bingo. As, we took our seats trying to catch up because we were late, I looked around. I saw a woman who brought her on personal fan to cool her off. It took place in an outdoor building. She was accompanied by a small purple elephant that I could only imagine was her good luck charm. It set next to her fan. There was a guy sitting near us who had brought his book to read for the in between calling and game times. No doubt, he has played a time or two. And then I begin to notice that some ladies had these bingo bags. They had pockets all around that you could keep your Dab O Ink bottles in. Just in case you want to be crazy and switch colors when starting a new game. I do have to say though I am now a proud owner of a Dab O Ink bottle. I can now mark my bingo cards like a professional. Sadly to say, we didn't win any money, but had tons of fun. (Beware family, mom wants to take us all back up there.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was this more fun then our last family Christmas bingo game? Can't wait. Might as well add gambling to the list of sins our family is accumulating! I can't wait to go. You know how much I looooove Helen!
Love,
Sister

Hi Jen,
OGNIB is BINGO reversed. PLUS!, if you mix it up you can get GINBO! Is it ok if I call you Ginbo? Later, Matthew