Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Big Apple!!




Hello Everyone!! This past weekend I took the opportunity to take my first trip to New York City!! It was such a wonderful time! Arriving on the Omega charter bus into New York City at rush hour with a bunch of chanting yogis is not how I ever thought I would enter NYC for the first time! But that is how it happened. The bus was a bit late so my friend Kevin was able to meet me at the bus station. I was super excited that he was there to meet me! From Port Authority, we walked to Time Square and then to Bryant Park. On the way to the park, I caught a glimpse of the New Year's Eve Ball and the Empire State Building for the first time. It was a beautiful evening for sitting in the park and catching up with an old friend. We went to dinner at a wonderful place called Spring Street Natural! I had the chicken burger smothered in cheese with french fries! It was so yummy!! After an amazing dinner, we went and walked and walked and walked. Kevin took me up Broadway to Washington Square. I saw the George Washington Arch for the first time. Then on to Union Square. From there I rode the subway for the first time. On the walk to his place from the subway, we stopped by the waterfront where I saw the Empire State Building light up for the night. I do have to say that it was a bit overwhelming at first but I quickly got a custom to the city and really enjoyed being there. And this is just what I did the first night!

On Saturday, Kevin and I went to brunch with Pauline, a wonderful, dear old friend.
We met her on the Upper West Side. Arriving early allowed me the chance to see a part of Central Park for the first time. It was beautiful and busy with lots of New Yorkers out for another warm spring day. After brunch of pancakes, that weren't vegan, beacon and eggs, Kevin and I went to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. That is the one thing that I really wanted to do. It was so much fun, but like most of NYC it was crowded. From the bridge, I saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time. That was really cool. After walking the bridge, we went back to Kevin's so I could get ready to go meet some of my favorite people whom I haven't seen in seven years, Josh and Liisa! It was so wonderful to finally give them a hug again. I took the subway all by myself for the first time to meet them in Madison Square Park. With the help of Kevin's excellent directions, I didn't get lost! Yay me!! Josh, Liisa, and I went to eat some barbecue. It was so gooooood!!
After the yummy dinner with our bellies extremely full, they took me to a place called the High Line. It's a lovely place to walk off a huge dinner. I really enjoyed catching up with them while walking in such an unique place. Once we finished there, I took my first cab ride!! It ended up only being a couple of blocks because the traffic was so bad. We got out and took the subway. They took me to a delicious bakery that had sugar free yumminess. After our bellies were once again full, we walked to Time Square so I could go shopping at the Quicksilver store there. It was so much fun! That was the only shopping I did in New York! :) It was hard to say good bye to them at the end of the night, but I know that I will get to see them again soon. I'm already thinking about my next weekend trip!! On Sunday, we took it easy and went to the Natural History Museum. We didn't get to spend that much time there, but I really enjoyed the time we did spend. My last meal before going back to Omega was at a yummy pizza place! I was so full and happy after leaving there. It was a wonderful trip and I had so much fun!! Thanks again Kevin for letting me stay!!


1 comment:

Tracy A. Wieler said...

just catching up on your happenings Jen! I love knowing that you are embracing the beauty of life out in New York. And it is great to see shots of Savannah peoples. yay! love ya!