Wednesday, June 30, 2010

One of the perks of being on staff at Omega is the classes they offer for us. I'm taking a month long writing class that meets on Wednesday nights and Saturday morning for three hours. It has helped me get back in the groove of writing again. I'm really enjoying it. The teacher gives us prompts and then we spend time writing. It has given me some really good ideas to write from different perspectives. Here is one I wrote about home:

My Neck of the Woods
by: Jennifer Sangster

I'm from the taste of sweet tea on my lips that makes me want to lick them twice.
I'm from cheddar cheese grits with specks of crispy beacon or country ham so salty I have to drink a jug of well water to make it through the day.
I'm from finger licking fried chicken and hot, homemade buttermilk biscuits.
I'm from a place where gathering around a church potluck is the best way to communicate.

I'm from the coolness of a pine tree forest.
I'm from talking creeks lined with green carpets of moss.
I'm from wondering trails scattered with red, yellow and orange fall leaves.
I'm from the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains.

I'm from the welcoming porch of an old family home with an unpainted wooden swing and three rocking chairs.
I'm from warm summer nights filled with stereo sounds of tree frogs and katydids.
I'm from leaving your windows open and your doors unlocked when no one is home.
I'm from taking a Sunday afternoon nap after church is the norm.

I'm form oak trees covered in resurrection fern littered with Spanish moss.
I'm from humidity and heat and sweat.
I'm from salty air and fine sand that sticks between my painted toes.
I'm from the beautiful beaches of the Golden Isles.

I'm from life stopping on crisp, fall Saturdays to cookout and watch college football games.
I'm from where tailgating is a religion and rivals are not, I repeat, not friendly.
I'm from the sound of "Goooo Dawgs, Sick'em" as kick off begins.
I'm from the black and red and silver of UGA.

I'm from where the word pecan is said "pee can".
I'm from where the word "family" means blood relatives and friends I've known all of my life.
I'm from where going to the Laser Show, Six Flags and White Water are all summer traditions.
I'm from the peach state of Georgia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it Jenny! It made me cry:) It absolutely takes me back to our childhood. I do miss many of those things living in California. Thanks for the reminder and the memories.

Catherine said...

Beautiful Jen!